Skip to content

Black & White Interiors … How Elegant!

September 19, 2010
I love the black and white drapery in this dining room.

One of my favorite color schemes is black & white.  Just like upscale social events, black & white interiors are elegant, timeless and oh so stunning!   They are also great for spaces where you want to emphasize clean, sophisticated lines.  And, just like black tie events where you see all sorts of attire–black tuxes, white tuxes, full length black gowns or little white cocktail dresses–the possibilities are endless.  Here are a few of my favorite black & white room designs.  I hope they inspire you as they do me in adding a little elegance to your living spaces.

This sleek lamp is crisp against the light, neutral background of the walls.

Make a dramatic impact with light or white accessories when you pair them with black. Open shelves like these can be easily painted or wallpapered to create a "wow" effect.

With a black and white color scheme, art pops off the walls in a good way. I like this B&W work space because of its contemporary feel and fun zebra rug (a hit in B&W rooms).

Black and white rooms can be expressed in myriad ways. Here you see a room grounded by a dark floor. In the next example I'll show a room with painted black walls. They are both elegant and sophisticated!

Notice what a contrast it makes to put black on the walls versus the floor (as shown in the picture above). Both rooms have a formal, sophisticated feel, demonstrating just how versatile this color scheme really is.

Just as art pops with a white mat and a black frame, white artwork also stands out when matted with an unconventional black mat and black frame.

What a great entry and stairs! The black and white stripes on the walls and zebra runner make this simple entrance designer chic!

This is a cool idea: Create a faux headboard with your B&W color scheme. This is a simple project that is easy to do in any bedroom. All you need is some high gloss paint, picture molding and a very steady hand!

Now for black & white rooms with a twist.  The ‘twist’ simply means adding in a pop of color like a vibrant red, a bright blue or eye-catching Chartreuse.   Here are a few of my favorite examples…

This is a great example of how a black and white color scheme speaks to formal suits and dresses. With a combination of the pinstripes and chairs, this sitting area is tailored to a tee. And, the pop of turquoise is oh so chic!

This mostly black and white living room comes to life with the splash of red in the oversized wall art.

Talk about GLAM. This bold dining room, with a painted black ceiling, monumental white molding and tufted turquoise chairs screams Hollywood.

One way to go about B&W with a twist is to have stark contrast. Don't you just love the yellow sofa in this room?

Another way to go about B&W with a twist is to tone down the contrast with soothing browns and greys.

Last, but certainly not least, check out this stunning room. I love the pops of Chartreuse. What a statement against the oh so fabulous drapes!

About these ads
10 Comments leave one →
  1. December 7, 2010 4:41 pm

Good evening

Awesome blog, great write up, thank you!

2. March 21, 2011 3:08 pm

I love black and white interiors. The one with the yellow sofa reminds me of Kelly Wearstler.

• March 22, 2011 9:46 pm

I agree, black and white is a classic! Thanks for stopping in and checking out my blog. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Denise

3. Giorgia permalink
    August 3, 2011 9:34 am

Lovely pics! I love black & white interiors.
    I’ve found pics of black & white ceramic tiles used to form optical patterns on floors and walls. The effect is very interesting:

4. Christy permalink
    September 10, 2011 2:01 pm

These rooms are gorgeous. Where can you find a large selection of oversized art work? Thanks, this was great!

• September 18, 2011 11:55 am

You should look at muralsyourway.com. They have a selection of prints you can order or you can use your own photos and have them oversized! Its a great way to add dramatic flair to a room. So glad you liked the post! Keep the comments coming…

XoXo,

Denise

5. January 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Black and white decor is never out and always elegant. I really liked how the wall mural with red circles broke up the room giving it just the right amount of color. The rooms look wonderful. http://www.katsartmurals.com

• January 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for checking out my blog and for leaving your comment. I LOVE black and white…always classic, elegant and chic. I will definitely check out your website. Please keep your comments coming!

XoXo,

Denise

• January 11, 2012 12:34 am

I wasn’t expecting a reply. Thanks. Anyways please keep in mind my site is new and I am still in the process of adding new products. If you have any suggestion please let me know. And I will definitely check back as often as I can.
        kat